<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, July 17, 2004

I've come to think about the Fermi paradox (it's my vacation, and weather's cold, so I've been watching Discovery Channel a lot).

Maybe it's not so strange that we don't see any aliens in the vincinity
- we're only looking at a timespan of, let's say, 1000 years. Any
evidence of visits before that are likely lost in the dirt (literally)
and forgotten.

I mean, what traces did we ourselves leave on the moon? A flag, a few footprints and a launch pad. Good luck finding that!

I don't know if they would have left something, either.
I mean, wouldn't it be somewhat impolite of them to go:
"Hello, we come in peace etc... By the way, do you mind if we leave a gigantic memorial of our visit, in case your culture collapses and you forget all about us?"

Anyway, I hope we'll hear (again?) from them in my lifetime. That said, I'm off installing SETI.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?